Sunday, October 3, 2010

Puebla: beautiful churches, beautiful food


My mom and I have spent the last few days exploring Puebla and re-connecting with the family my mom stayed with in the 70’s. It’s been great to just enjoy being here. We went to some of the touristy places, road el turibus around town one day, but mostly we just walked around. We went to markets and did a lot of window-shopping. There were always people out and about, but this afternoon was a whole other experience! We went to a Methodist church service in the morning, and afterwards headed towards el zocalo, the center of town. There were so many people! The roads were blocked off, there were venders selling food, balloons, bubbles, art… it almost seemed like some sort of festival, especially with the bicentennial decorations still up. It wasn’t. I think it was just something you do in Puebla on a Sunday- go to misa, and spend the afternoon downtown. We watched some tap-dancing clowns and other entertainers. We headed back towards our hotel to find… even more entertainment! A guy making spray-paint prints (a process that included lighting the paint on fire!!!), and a saxophone quartet right next to a guy singing opera. Pretty fantastic.

The time we spent with Jose Luis and his family was also good. They were very kind in showing us around- they took us to a mole (it’s a sauce, not an animal) factory, to the pyramid of Cholula, and to see some specialty Talavera. We had dinner several times with them as well. It definitely made me think of the importance of connections and relationships. My mom and Jose Luis’ mom had sent Christmas cards to each other every year up until recently when they lost contact. When she knew I would be going to Mexico, she tried to find the family online. She found a couple pictures, but no contact info. However, our friend Reyna in Elma, WA, is from Puebla. As it turns out, she remembered the family, and called her mother (still in Puebla) to find them. Which is how we were able to meet up with Jose Luis. Confusing? My point is that it took all of those connections for it to work. And our experience in Puebla was all the more richer for spending time with them. Besides, now I have connections in Puebla as well.

My mom with brothers Chacho y Jose Luis

Chiles en nogadas

Chile poblano

En el Zocalo

A church we passed on the bus tour.

Some bicentennial decorations

Templo de Santo Domingo

La Capilla de Rosario- that's all real gold! mind-boggling

El Sanctuario de Remedios- built by the Spaniards on top of a pyramid.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Karen,
    I'm so glad you're back in a wonderful, beautiful place with kind people. That food is making me drool. Speaking of food, I have Pais de Sopa, but I think you'll find many other things to eat and cook there. It is waiting for you here. Please keep in touch and let me know how you're doing there.
    Lots of love,
    E

    ReplyDelete