Monday, February 28, 2011

To Mitla!

Since one of my goals was to travel and see more of Oaxaca, I decided to take a trip last weekend. After consulting a copy of Lonely Planet that Katie and Nithim left behind (I love Lonely Planet!), I picked Mitla. Mitla is a small town just outside of Oaxaca City with ruins to see, and a jumping off point to get to Hierve el Agua. I was surprised by how close the ruins were… they really were in the town. They were beautiful, not as big as a site as Monte Alban, perhaps, but they had some amazing, intricate stone designs.

This was my first time really traveling solo. I’ve traveled to and from places on my own plenty, and I’ve gone on weekend trips with friends, but I’d never gone anywhere all on my own, just because. I was so excited to leave Tlaxiaco that morning, to be doing something on my own, something new. And once I got going, I realized that I CAN do this. It’s true I hadn’t traveled solo before, but I have traveled a lot. I know how to do it. So, going alone wasn’t that much different. Except, of course, that I didn't have company. It wasn’t all that bad. Although, since I stayed in a small town, things really did close up early. I went to try to grab something to eat and maybe hang out for a bit, but most places were closed! I guess that’s what happens in a place where the tourists mostly just come during the day. Would things have been better with a friend along? Yes, but I don’t intend to let that stop me from making another trip!

This group of ruins really was in the middle of town.

Decorations inside the palace.

No comments:

Post a Comment