Thursday, January 13, 2011

Christmas in Guadalajara

For Christmas I went to Guadalajara to spend time with family friends, the Amayas. I had stayed with them when I studied abroad in college (like 8 years ago-yikes!), but really our families have been friends since the 60’s. So, this seemed like a good opportunity to catch up and spend Christmas with my “other family.”

I couldn’t help but reminisce about my time there before. Whenever people ask me where I learned Spanish I always say that I took classes in school, but that I learned how to actually speak it in Guadalajara. Which is true- but it took me awhile to be comfortable speaking. I know that much of the time, especially towards the beginning, I was quiet, and didn’t understand all that much. By the end of the semester I was fairly confident, but what a difference to arrive this time and jump right into conversations! And of course, this time I was meeting old friends, instead of people I didn’t know all that well. I know that this first living abroad experience was really important in my life. It was my first time truly being away from home, and it was hard. But it was also the start of being able to use Spanish, traveling, living in another culture; things that I am doing now.

This year was my first Christmas away from home. I was excited to spend it with the Amayas, but also a little worried about not being home. Turns out I didn’t really need to be… The whole evening felt very Christmas-y; everyone walking around with shining eyes and happy faces. We had a big turkey dinner (that started around 11:00 PM!) with candles and Christmas music in English. There was 24-hour salad courtesy of a recipe Maga was given by a friend in Montesano 40 years ago, as well as ponche with a choice of adding vino, whiskey or tequila. I felt welcomed by everyone- less of a guest and more of a family member (albeit one who doesn’t always come). I forgot how nice it is to talk to people who know and love my family. People who have lived in or visited Montesano, and who spent Christmas with my grandparents in Monte. For years the Amayas called us on Christmas Eve. The phones were passed around at both houses, and lots of Merry Christmases and Feliz Navidades were exchanged. Maybe that’s another reason it didn’t feel weird to be there. I had been a part of their Christmas before, just as they had been a part of ours. I’m so glad that the tradition has continued, and that I actually know them. They are more than names and faces to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment