Thursday, January 13, 2011

Esperanza

I meant to write this post in December, but I didn’t. So, this is more or less an update on some of the changes at Casa Hogar.

First of all, the boiler hadn’t really been working and I was stuck taking short, excruciatingly cold showers. When I told Priscilla and her family about this they immediately went out and bought me something to tide me over until the boiler was fixed. Here it is:

I think I had a smaller version of one of these in my dorm room. You know, one of those things that you plug in and put in your tea cup to warm up the water? Only this one is mas grande- and will warm up an entire 5-gallon bucket. When I showed my mom the apparatus via skype, she said, “Oh, it’s a trough-warmer! It’s so that the cows’ water doesn’t freeze!” While it would have been pretty entertaining to attempt using it, I actually haven’t yet. When I got back, I found out that the boiler had been fixed! Yay for hot water!!!

Some other things:

  • Roberto made a website for Casa Hogar. Eventually I will be translating it, but for now at least it is up in Spanish. http://www.tlaxiacoestudiantil.org/

  • With money donated from a church in Mexico as well as from some people in my home church of Montesano, we bought two new computers! Patronato will be bringing them at the end of the week, and soon students will be able to more of their homework at home. (Instead of paying to use an internet café)

  • The internet situation is still a big question mark, but not necessarily impossible.

  • A couple months ago, someone looking for volunteer opportunities in Latin America, found my blog. After some e-mails and discussions, she is coming! Soon! She and her fiancé will be helping with several projects. She and I will work on a curriculum/framework for teaching English to Secundaria students. (That way the next volunteer will have something to work off of) And her fiancé will be working on creating digital libraries. Very exciting!


I definitely feel very blessed to be a part of all of this, and to get to see some of these changes unfold. Basically, I’m so glad to be here. Glad that my presence here is at least a small contribution to the improvements that are being made. And glad that I get to see and experience God at work in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment