Friday, November 12, 2010

An Invitation

Dia de los muertos is actually more than one dia. It’s more like 4 days. Which meant a 4-day weekend for students (and me). I was excited to be in Mexico for dia de los muertos, but wasn’t sure exactly where or how to spend the holiday. All of the students went home for the weekend, and Agustin and Irene are not Catholic, so they do not celebrate the holiday. I thought it would be a good opportunity to go back to Puebla, but then I didn’t have any luck getting a hold of Priscilla. When she didn’t come to the work party on Saturday, I had pretty much resigned myself to spending the long weekend in Tlaxiaco.

Luckily, Roberto and his wife invited me to come back to Puebla with them and stay for the weekend! So, not only did I learn of a new website, and new improvements in the making, but I had an invitation as well. Hope abounds! It was like an answer to a prayer that I hadn’t even made. Soon I was on my way with them and their 3 kids. It was a great weekend. It was nice to have a change of scenery, and a chance to get to know new people. And it was wonderful to have internet and hot water! They took me sight-seeing, and their oldest son was my official tour guide. He loves history and even speaks pretty good English!

Here are some pictures from two forts we went to. Did I mention that Puebla is where the official Cinco de Mayo battle happened?

The chapel at Fort Loredo.

It's like a giant bathtub!

Walking along the perimeter.

Canon outpost

We also went to a museum that had this battallion flag carried during Cinco de Mayo.

Fountain commemorating Cinco de Mayo General Zaragoza. Apparently he is burried there as well.

The second fort we went to.


It's a moat!

No comments:

Post a Comment