Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Work Party

This Saturday we had another work party. This time it was to piscar, or pick, corn and also to start on painting the outside of the house. Family members arrived to help with their own basket and a nail to open up the corn husk. It was amazing to me that a whole crew of over 20 people could disappear in the corn field. Walking along the edge of the field, all you could hear was rustling, which didn’t sound that different than just hearing the wind rustle the dry leaves. It made me think of that one Mel Gibson movie with the aliens in the cornfield. It looks so innocent, right? But what’s really in there….?

Agustin asked me to take pictures, so I got to play photographer again. I also did want to help with the painting, but first I had to wait while someone went on a run to the store to buy some more brushes and rollers, and then people kept taking the one roll of masking tape and asking to borrow the paint brush I was using. So, I can’t say I did very much. But I did take pictures!


Into the cornfield they go...

You can't tell, but at this point there are about 25 people in the cornfield.

The corn will be used for making tortillas.

"This corn is for eating... see?"

Preparing to paint

Father and son bonding time

That's a lot of corn!

No comments:

Post a Comment