Thursday, November 11, 2010

Visitas

Last week I made a visit to the Secundaria school. When I told Irene and Agustin about it, they both seemed somewhat concerned that I wouldn’t be able to talk to the English teachers, and they recommended talking to the school counselor first. I think it would have been fine either way, but it was nice to talk to the counselor and have her be the one to interrupt class in order to introduce me. One teacher let me make copies of the class content and standards for all three grade levels. Needless to say, that will be quite helpful! It came from a book put out by the Mexican Secretary of Education (or something similar to that) for all secundaria schools in Mexico. I read through some of the introduction (which was in Spanish) and it was interesting to read about some of the best practices recommended in teaching foreign languages. Such as, students should read for information in the target language without translating word-for-word. The goal is to get the main idea and/or glean information. Which is great, but I can’t say I’ve seen the students I work with doing that… In fact often their homework involves translating things. I met with the other teacher as well. He spoke with me in English, showed me what his classes had done, explained what they would be doing next, invited me to come back and gave me his e-mail. I think his students are lucky to have him as a teacher. All and all, it was an informative trip!

Saturday, we had a visit from the patronato of Casa Hogar. They are basically an administrative board for the program, which is run through the SE conference of the United Methodist Church in Mexico. This visit was a work visit. They came to do some more work on a project of making stone markers along the driveway. The 8 boys at Casa Hogar stayed to help, and some fathers and brothers of students came to help as well. A few girls stayed to help Irene in the kitchen preparing food for all the visitors. Me, being a girl, and therefore not expected to work, I spent my time playing photographer, helping clean and talking with some of the visitors.

The biggest surprise for me came from one of the members of patronato. Roberto, a newer member, and one who is computer savvy, is currently working on making a webpage for Casa Hogar! And, while he was looking for information on Tlaxiaco, he found my blog. He and his wife came and interviewed the students who were here to get their information and ask them questions about their experience here and what needs they have. The idea is that the website will have information about what Casa Hogar is all about, what is happening, who is here and what some of the needs are as well.

Surprise, surprise, the main thing that students would like to have available is a computer… and internet. No one thought that we could get internet out here in the country, where there aren’t any telephone lines, but it just might work! Ah… internet…. Obviously, I would love to have internet here, but it really would make a big difference for everyone. Right now to use the internet, you have to go into town and pay to use it. So, the students are paying to use the internet and paying to get to the internet. (And if they don’t come home to eat first, they will be hungry, or they will have to buy something to eat in town) Also of interest, Agustin asked about replacing the boiler for my bathroom that doesn’t really work. Yay! And there may be a professional bread-baking oven available. Fresh-baked bread that is more economical is good, but you know what is even better? A warmer house!!! Internet… hot water… some heat in the house every once and while… what will I do with myself?

I know as a “rich” American coming here I feel the limitations, whereas the students who are here probably really do think more of the opportunity to finish their schooling. Again, they are really great kids, and I know they are grateful to be here. But what if things weren’t quite so limited? Would their dreams be more abundant if their life was more abundant as well?


















No comments:

Post a Comment